Mobile phones work on the summit of the volcano, be careful, they pass only on the north zone and on the East of the summit, but not in South.
Meteo Forecasts 24/48h : Tél : 08 92 68 08 08
At the end of the specialized backup plan (PS) of volcanic eruptions published in 1992, the volcanic vigilance corresponds to ” a situation of abnormal geophysics activity “. This situation can end with the return to a normal level of activity (raised pre-alert), remain for a while (from one day to several weeks) or result in an eruptive crisis (raised alert).
- Alerte n° 1 : éruption imminente. Imminent eruption. The monitoring centre (observatory) detects the signs of an intrusive crisis which in all probability will result in an exit (release) of lava.
The access to the enclosure becomes forbidden. In the absence of exit of the lava, it is possible to return to the pre-alert phase.
- Alerte n° 2 : eruption in the enclosure.
To reach “Le Pas de Bellecombe” (car-park), you have to follow the following itinerary :
From “Le Tampon” or St Benoit there is only one road: the RN 3 which crosses the island. In “Bourg Murat” (where it sometimes freezes in winter) you turn at “La Maison du Volcan” (the house of the volcano) and begin a long ascent which will allow you to discover a vegetation of very green low mountain range (wet rain forest).
You drive past the “Nez de Boeuf” (an attractive point of view ), then the ” Rivière des Ramparts”.
You will then arrive at the “Plaine des sables” possible stopping place) before reaching “Le Pas de Bellecombe”. (23 km from Bourg Murat).
For information purposes, here are some approximate pieces of advice concerning the timing :
- Plan light clothes if it is beautiful (a T-shirt and a pair of shorts) and warm clothes in case of rain (a sweat-shirt and a cagoule), it is always necessary to have them within reach because the weather can change all of a sudden.
- Do not forget to protect yourselves: if the weather is beautiful you can get sunburned (because of the reverberation on the lava), bring a cap and a solar cream. If the weather goes bad, you can hardly see a thing and walking becomes more risky for that reason, always plan “wide” schedules.
- Bring some water, food, and vitamins (chocolate bars, fruits), this hike is no picnic!
- Take comfortable and sturdy shoes (trainers or walking Shoes).
- Take care and always tell a Friend when you decide to go to the volcano…
Run by the PICARD family for several generations, this holiday cottage is quite near the “Pas de Bellecombe” , from that spot you have the possibility of preparing your hikes in the best conditions
The current prices (on January 1st, 2012) are the following ones:
- Overnight stay ………………………..16 or 18 euros for an adult and 12 euros for a child
- Reservation Tel: 0810 160 000
- Dinner ………………………….20 euros for an adult and 12 euros for a child under 12
- Breakfast ………………7 euros
- Lunch: from 12 €
- Meals are to be reserved by phone: 06 92 85 20 91 or by Fax: 02 62 59 16 62
- For dinner it is necessary to arrive before 6:00 pm
Site web : www.legiteduvolcan.fr
Inaugurated in 2001, the relay offers warm and cold drinks to quench your thirst, sandwiches and even samosas!
Not a minor detail: there are clean toilets
Opening hours: 6 am – 4:30 am
WALKS AROUND THE VOLCANOE
Walks around the volcano are magnificent, the marked out paths are very well maintained by the ONF. In this chapter, we suggest a series of hikes well situated around the volcano, and the most diversified possible ones